The More the Merrier

The More the Merrier
Enough Therapy for All

Monday, October 18, 2010

A Lifetime of Therapy

In 1999, I think it was, I watched the Westminster Dog Show, as I do every year. This year, they highlighted the value of therapy dogs. I had heard of therapy dogs before and understood the many health benefits there were to having a calm dog nearby, but this was the first time I had actually seen film of a therapy dog "working" in a pediatric unit. I cried when I saw how sick children were immediately cheered when this wonderful dog came for a visit. The dog was a English Bull Mastiff and what a teddy bear of a dog that the kids could just wrap their arms around and squeeze forever. I was sold. I also wanted to provide that kind of happiness, that kind of cheer, and affect on someone less fortunate then myself. In 2001, my beloved Lacey became my first certified Therapy Dog and so begun our journey. Over a period of the next seven years Lacey engaged hundreds of patients and clients with her tender way and beautiful spirit, bringing a new dimension to their life and selfishly to say-to my life. If you certify your companion to share with others, you will never regret the time and effort you spend on that endeavor.  Check it out-www.tdi-dog.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment